Sunday, May 11, 2008

From the New York Times article on May 8th, 2008.

Go big or go home, that's my motto; and with the Steampunk Movement they definitely go big. Too often we find people who attempt bold brilliant ideas only to look like an advertisement for Hot Topic. If you ask me, I've seen one too many Tim Burton "Nightmare Before Christmas," Emily Strange, fingerless gloves look a-likes in this world and I'm ready for some change. I finally have found it in this Steampunk movement, which sadly is almost "over" if the New York Times has written an article on it. Needless to say, I'm intrigued, and find that my questioning of the movement has already been answered on the Steampunk Movement Workshop. Here's what they have to say:

How can you be authentic to yourself and part of a (sub)culture?

Through the lens of Steampunk, a meta-subculture that is currently at its tipping point of growth, we explore the inevitable question a subculture faces as it grows from disparate DIY roots. Who and what belongs? Can it transform permaculture?


Well, I guess that leaves me with more questions than answers and as such I am left with the deep exploration and fervent following of this new movement. I hope Hot Topic does find out about this otherwise we may be purchasing XXS $14.99 shirts with the "Steampunk" logo silk-screened across the front.

In the meantime we can look into making this great new computer:

Steampunk Workshop Computer





1 comment:

Mackenzi said...

i looooove this. i just spent an hour googling this movement and love, love, love!!!!